Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baking Day!

Yes, you read that title right. Yesterday, one of the hottest days yet, was baking day!  I asked my Amish neighbor how and when she does her baking in this heat.  She told me she picks the hottest day and fires up the stove.  Her reasoning was that it was going to be unbearable anyway so the heat of the stove wouldn't make much of a difference.  I had been missing baking, I really enjoy it and I need snacks for the kiddos who are going through food like there's 16 of them not eight!!
Tuesday was forecast to be hot, hot, hot, I decided to jump in and bake.  I woke up at 5am, yes, I really did, if you know me "Morning Person", is the last thing to describe me!  Anyway I got up early, and started a fire, it was so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that it was going to be 115 with heat index and I was starting a FIRE!!  But I did!
I made 3 loaves of wheat bread, 1 loaf of cinnamon bread for french toast this morning, 4 loaves of pumpkin bread, one of the kids favorite snacks, a batch of cookies, and a double batch of corn bread for dinner tonight!!  YUMM!!!
And my neighbor was right, it didn't seem any hotter than it already was, I meant when it's 110 in the house what's a few more degrees radiating from the cookstove!!  I didn't realize how much I had missed working with the cookstove, despite the heat, I had a nice morning, plus it's always nice to bake yummy things for appreciative children!!

In other news, our bratty  sweet little pony escaped in the middle of the night Sunday night.  The big boys went to check on her, she was making quite a racket in barn and we had heard coyotes pretty close that evening.  Well when they got out there she had gotten herself out and was making a break for it, she nearly ran Kegan over and headed up the driveway and down the road at ninety miles an hour.  It was one of those situations where there was nothing to do but pray, so that's what we did.
Next morning we drove around and asked the neighbors if they had seen our pony.  But nobody had.  In the afternoon we went to the neighbors for milk and they said they thought they saw a pony in a vacant field up the road, Donagan and I drove over there, and sure enough it was Ellie.  Now, we have chased Ellie ALL over our own property, she NEVER comes or stands still long enough for you to put a lead on her.  As I got out of the the van, in my newly sewn town dress, I asked the Lord if maybeHe could please make her stand still so we could catch her and it wouldn't be a huge drama.  Donagan  walked up to her and she took off...uuuggghhh!!  I took a deep breath and called her like Ileigh does, "Ellington, my pretty pony...".  She looked up, pricked her little pony ears and started to walk toward me!!!!!  I was speechless!  Except to say "thank you Lord for small miracles"!!  We put a lead on her and got in the van, Donagan held the rope out the window while we drove ever so slowly home!!  It was great fun to see the looks on every ones faces when we pulled in the driveway with our little pony!  It was also nice to know the Father listens and answers even the "little" prayers!!

It is supposed to cool off this week and we are very grateful, enjoy your day and keep smiling!!
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment