November 1st marked 6 months of being on our farm! It's been wonderful and horrible, a dream come true and a nightmare! Really, the good has outweighed the bad, by a long shot! We have met lots Amish, have some very nice neighbors, we have found a great church where we feel very welcome. We have acquired some of our farm livestock, milk cow and 40 chickens! We have explored our new surroundings and have had several nice family drives!
Some things we haven't accomplished yet, self-suffiecentcy. We are really lacking in that. The "simple life" can be quite complicated!
For example, you want a hot bath.
1. You ask a boy to haul some wood to the basement.
2. You ask a boy to haul some wood to the basement.
3. You ask a different boy to haul wood to the basement.
4. You haul some wood to the basement yourself.
5. You start a fire in the boiler.
6. You fill the boiler with water from the spigot.
7. You restart the fire in the boiler adding more paper and kindling.
8. You go upstairs and gather everyones pj's and towels.
9. You go downstairs and check the fire, add wood and test the water.
10. Repeat step 9 four more times in the next 3 hours.
11. Finally....the water is boiling hot!!
12. You start with the littlest people and give them baths 2 or 3 at a time!
13. Tell a boy to go get in the tub.
14. Tell another boy to go get in the tub.
15. Tell another boy to get in the tub.
16. Ask Kegan and Ileigh who wants to go next.
17. Wait patiently for Kegan and Ileigh to get done.
18. Get ready for your own bath.
19. Get the bucket and fill it at the boiler.
20. Carry 5 gallons of boiling hot water to the smallest, oldest bath tub ever made. Pour it in and start the cold water running.
21. Go back to the boiler for a second bucket................there is no more hot water!!!!!!
22. Go back to the bathtub and take a lukewarm bath in 3 inches of water:(
23. Vow to be the FIRST bath next time!!!!!!
Needless to say we don't bathe everyday!! It is simpler, there is no hot water heater to break, no propane to pay for, or gas or electricity. What I have found is, what you don't spend in cash you put out in hard work!!
I know it's been so long since I have posted. Busy? Yes but no more than usual, just lots of stuff I am not at liberty to discuss at this point in time! I hate it when people do that! And here I am doing it, sorry!
I will try harder, honest!
Have great day!